D5007, 5007, 24007
D5007, 5007, 24007
The sixteen year eight month career of D5007/24007 included allocations to London Midland Region, Southern Region & Scottish Region depots.
Built Derby Locomotive Works.
Full size fuel & water tanks (shortened water tank added later).
Five upper and four lower air filters on non-BIS side, four upper & lower on BIS side.
Additional headcode disc brackets fitted (for use with SR six disc headcodes).
Time between last Classified repair and withdrawal: ?? months.
Time between withdrawal & scrapping: 27 months.
Five upper, four lower ventilators on non BIS side
The frames for D5007 were laid down at Derby Works during November 1958 and was delivered new to Crewe South (5B) on February 7th 1959, but then immediately loaned to Derby (17A). Further transfers were:
March 16th 1959 to Hither Green (73C) on loan
June 1962 to Willesden (1A)
June 1962 to Hither Green (73C) on loan
November 1962 to Willesden (1A)
January 1965 to Camden (1B)
December 1965 to Bletchley (1E)
April 1966 to London Division (D01)
April 1967 to Stoke Division (D05)
January 1969 to store (at Chester)
August 13th 1969 reinstated to Stoke Division (D05)
March 1971 to Eastfield (65A) on loan made permanent April 1971
July 7th 1975 to serviceable store
October 5th 1975 withdrawn.
Renumbered April 1974.
24007 was stored at Carlisle from July 1975 to December 8th 1977 when it was forwarded to Doncaster Works, being scrapped during January 1978.
Movement: 24007/14/90, 24108 14.00 Carlisle - Doncaster 9Z14 December 8th 1977.
Its December 12th 1977 and 24007 has reached the end of the line at Doncaster Works and here is positioned ready for the cutting up to begin.
Works visits (records incomplete).
Noted Eastleigh Works April 1961.
Noted Eastleigh Works June 1962.
Noted Derby Works December 1963.
Noted Derby Works November 1964 - January 1965.
Noted Derby Works September 1968.
Noted Derby Works August 1969
D5000 - D5006 had been delivered with split radiator screens, from D5007 the split (to accommodate the pinstripe) was discontinued.
The frames for D5007 were laid down at Derby during the last quarter of 1958 with the locomotive entering traffic in February 1959. Although initially allocated to Crewe (5B) D5007 was immediately transferred to Derby and then almost as swiftly transferred to Hither Green (73C), part of a loan of fifteen Class 24s from the LMR to the SR.
One of those workings frequently used by the Type 2s fresh out of Derby Works included the 2.30pm Liverpool Central - Nottingham, D5007 being so noted on February 10th.
During the summer the Civil Engineer permitted the use of double heading of the Type 2s, with D5007/10 noted on June 20th hauling the 3.42 pm relief Victoria - Folkestone Harbour, whilst the next day they handled the 5.25am Dover - Victoria and 9.24am return relief. Educational excursions were run during July to Southampton & Portsmouth, via Eastleigh, again using pairs of Type 2s.
Condition no month: green livery with frame level stripe, gangway doors present, full size fuel & water tanks, hand/footholds present, cantrail water filler cover present, five upper/four lower ventilators on non-BIS side, four upper/four lower ventilators on BIS side, engine exhaust in original location, ridge sided sandboxes, two-rung bogie mounted footsteps.
Possibly the first visit of an LMR Type 2 to Eastleigh Works for repair was D5007 during April, previously the machines had visited Derby for overhaul.
Condition July: not yet received small yellow warning panels.
Almost a year after the interesting sortie by D5009 & D6523 working a football special to Bristol, November 3rd saw D6570 & D5007 (the last LMR Type 2 to be allocated to the SR) take a twelve coach football special from Dartford to Yeovil Junction. The train ran via the Dartford Loop, Nunhead, Factory Junction, Clapham Junction, East Putney & Wimbledon. Steam locomotives 76018, 31619 & 9732 were used on the short leg from Yeovil Junction to Yeovil Town and return. On the outward run a ‘race’ ensued on the four track mainline between Winchfield and Hook with the special challenging the 9.30am Waterloo - Bournemouth headed by 34064. Regrettably a permanent way slowing cut short the spirited running for 34064.
Condition September: not yet received small yellow warning panels, locomotive appears to be ex-works (Eastleigh?).
During 1962 the loaned Type 2s were able to return to the LMR with D5007 transferred to Willesden (1A) in November.
Condition August: green livery with frame level stripe (no yellow warning panels), gangway doors present, full size fuel & water tanks, hand/footholds present, two-rung bogie mounted footsteps, ridge sided sandboxes, headcode disc brackets fitted (for use with SR six disc headcodes).
D5007 moved to Camden in January.
D5007 was noted on excursion duty on June 27th taking day trippers from Rugeley to New Brighton.
After almost a year at Camden D5007 moved to Bletchley (1E) in December.
With the electrification virtually complete at the southern end of the WCML the duties of the Class 24s were increasingly replaced by the AM10s on the suburban passenger duties and the newly arriving Class 25s on the local freight and parcels workings. Thus all the London area allocated Class 24s were eventually moved to the Stoke Division (D05) with D5007 moving northward in April.
With a downturn in traffic and a surplus of Type 2s the LMR stored or withdrew a number of the first twenty Class 24s. Many were due for heavy shopping and lacked certain improvements fitted to later members of the class, with the first withdrawn being 5000/01/05/10/19 whilst stored were 5002/07/11/12/17, the storage date for 5007 was January.
By June 5000 in poor external condition was stored in the roofless steam shed at Shrewsbury, a little further north Chester had accumulated 5002/07/10/12/16/17/19. Crewe South had 5001/13 whilst Derby Works held 5004 (a recent arrival from Cockshute with fire damage), heavily stripped 5005 and accident damaged 5090.
An upturn in traffic on the Eastern Region and a runaway collision at Chester which led to the condemnation of five Class 24s allowed for the return to service of those early members which had been previously stored or withdrawn. This included the return to service of 5007.
In March as part of a large set of re-allocations 5007 moved to Eastfield (65A) being part of the scheme to allow the Scottish Region to withdraw its few remaining Clayton & North British built locomotives. This was the last transfer for 5007.
Condition August green livery with full yellow cabfronts, gangway doors present, headcode disc brackets fitted (for use with SR six disc headcodes) (at least No.2 cab), full size fuel tank, shortened water tank, blanking plates fitted, hand/footholds present, straight sided sandboxes, three-rung bogie mounted footsteps, engine exhaust located over engineroom.
Condition May: blue/yellow livery, gangway doors sheeted over, headcode discs centered on cab front, headcode disc brackets fitted (for use with SR six disc headcodes) (at least No.2 cab), blue star coupling codes located higher up than normal on cabfront, blanking plates fitted, hand/footholds plated over.
The summer of 1975 brought major reductions in the fleet of the operational Class 24s with the Scottish Region taking many out of service including 24007, being stored in July and then withdrawn in early October and stored at Carlisle.
Condition final: blue/yellow livery, gangway doors sheeted over, headcode discs centered on cab front, headcode disc brackets fitted (for use with SR six disc headcodes) (at least No.2 cab), blue star coupling codes located higher up than normal on cabfront, full size fuel tank, shortened water tank, blanking plates fitted, hand/footholds plated over, straight sided sandboxes, three-rung bogie mounted footsteps.
flk 1017 (1)
Page added September 3rd 2016.
Last updated October 18th 2017.
Return to Picture menu
Return to Home page