D5023, 5023, 24023
D5023, 5023, 24023|
The nineteen year career of D5023/24023 began with eighteen months on the Eastern Region before transferring to the London Midland Region for the rest of its career.
|Its September 1959 as brand new D5023 is shunted in the Works yard. The locomotive sports the two rung footstep on the bogie and the original large fuel/water tanks. In its early years D5023 was a frequent visitor to Derby Works.
Photograph collection of webmaster.
The frames for D5023 were laid down during the early summer of 1959 at Derby Works. D5023 was new to Ipswich (32B) on September 25th 1959. Further transfers were:
March 1961 to Watford (1C) on loan, made permanent April 1961
June 1962 to Willesden (1A)
January 1965 to Camden (1B)
December 1965 to Bescot (2F)
April 1966 to Birmingham Division (D02)
June 1967 to Stoke Division (D05)
March 1972 to Manchester Division (D09), to Longsight May 1973 when the LMR Division allocations were abolished
August 1975 to Crewe
November 2nd 1977 stored then reinstated the next day back to Crewe
September 3rd 1978 - withdrawn.
Renumbered March 30th 1974.
24023 was finally withdrawn on September 3rd 1978 and moved to Doncaster Works with 24073 on October 23rd 1978 as the 05.00 Crewe - Doncaster 9Z10. The end came for 24023 by the end of December 1978.
Works visits (records incomplete).
Noted Derby Works September 1961.
Noted Derby Works February & March 1962 (ex-works).
Noted Derby Works October 1962.
Noted Derby Works January 1963.
Noted Derby Works December 1963.
Noted Derby Works March/April & June 1966.
Noted Derby Works February 1970.
Noted Derby June - August 1975.
Of the first thirty Class 24's built at Derby (D5000 - D5029) two received overhauls in the summer of 1975, 24009 at Glasgow and 24023 at Derby. Because of this classified repair late in the life of the Class, 24023 soldiered on for several years after her numerical sisters had gone to the scrapyard. Along with 24073 (which was withdrawn at the same time as 24023), 24023 represented the last of the Derby built Class 24's remaining in service.
|5023 at St Helens on October 31st 1973. The locomotive still retains its gangway doors and has a neat row of the electrification flashes across the cab front. Some of the frame level valencing is missing and a smaller water tank has been fitted at some point.
Photograph courtesy Tom Sutch.
|Its a damp day at Horwich Works on February 17th 1975 as 24023 & 40032 are surrounded by all that one might expect to see at a railway workshops from this era. In a couple of months 24023 will be at Derby Works for its final classified repair, taking place at a time when many Class 24's were being retired.
Photograph courtesy Tom Sutch.
|24023 stabled at Warrington Arpley on April 25th 1977. In its overhaul at Derby during the summer of 1975 the cab front gangway doors were sheeted over, the steam heat connections on the bufferbeam were removed and three rung footsteps added to the bogies.
Photograph courtesy Paul Roberts.
During 24023's final summer in service, it was noted on passenger workings on the North Wales mainline. On July 12th 24023 worked the 13.30 Manchester Victoria - Llandudno Town.
24023 was finally withdrawn on September 3rd 1978.
Page added May 10th 2012
Last updated May 27th 2014.
Return to Picture menu
Return to Home page