Built Crewe Works (from batch 5030 - 5065).
The sixteen year eight month career of D5046/24046 saw allocations to Eastern Region and London Midland Region depots.
The frames for D5046 were laid down during the summer of 1959 at Crewe Works. D5046 was new to March (31B) on October 29th 1959. Further transfers were:
September 1960 to Stratford (30A).
Renumbered November 5th 1973.
After withdrawal 24046 was stored at Crewe Basford Hall until May 2nd 1977 when it moved to Oxford, departing here on May 17th 1977 for Swindon Works, where it was scrapped by the third week of July 1977.
Movement: 24038/39/41/46 06.50 Crewe - Oxford - Swindon May 2nd-17th 1977.
Works visits (records incomplete).
Noted Stratford Works May 1962.
Condition New: green livery, frame level stripe, grey roof, full size fuel & water tanks, two-rung bogie mounted footsteps, ridge sided sandboxes.
Condition no date (early 1960s)?: green livery with small yellow warning panels, curved upper corners, frame level stripe not covered by yellow panel, small gap between stripe and bottom of yellow panel; steam style shed plate of cab front.
Page added June 24th 2016