The fifteen year seven month career of D5100/24100 was split between North Eastern Region (11 years) and Scottish Region (4 years) allocations.
Built BR Darlington Works (batch D5094 - D5113).
The frames for D5100 were laid down at Darlington Works during the spring of 1960, D5100 was new to Gateshead (52A) on June 25th 1960. Further transfers were:
May 1962 to Carlisle Canal on loan.
Renumbered October 1973.
24100 was stored at Eastfield from August to October 1975, then moved to Carstairs until April 4th 1976 when it was forwarded to Doncaster Works and was broken up there during May 1976.
Movement: 24100 Carlisle - Doncaster April 4th 1976.
Works visits (records incomplete).
Noted Darlington Works October & November 1963.
By the end of July the Type 2s were being used in pairs on the 12.05 York - Glasgow relief, one such working noted behind D5100 & D5096.
D5100 was noted at Darlington Works during October & November.
After the closure of Darlington Works the NER Type 2s visited a number of workshops for their heavy maintenance & repairs. D5100 was one of several Type 2s to visit the Brush Works at Loughborough, being noted there in November & December. With the winding down of the Brush Type 4 construction Brush signed a contract with British Railways for the repair of various Sulzer powered Type 2/4s, in particular the major refurbishment of the Class 46s.
An Open Day at Leeds Holbeck on September 30th, no doubt celebrating the twilight of steam in the area, especially the few remaining Jubilees, found the following Sulzer Type 2s on ‘display’: D5096, 5100/73/79, 5254/90, 7526/48/68-70/95 & 7625.
On the last day of March 5100 worked a football special from Huddersfield to Middlesborough.
On October 6th 5100 & 8568 were in charge of the 8Z26 00.30 Dalzell New Yard, Motherwell to Carlisle freight, it was made up of thirty four wagons and a brakevan. The train was 1,279 feet long and weighed 814 tons including the locomotives. Half of the train was made up of loaded steel wagons, the remainder were container flat wagons, some loaded, some empty. Whilst descending Beattock bank at about 35mph the train was hit in the rear by the following 6V51 01.40 Dalzell New Yard, Motherwell to Margam steel train hauled by Class 47 1836, this train having become a runaway due to the incorrect coupling of the air brake pipes on this train.
The collision occurred between Beattock South Signal Box and Murthat, with the out of control Margam bound train running away in excess of 80mph. All of the twenty four wagons behind 1836 were damaged, fourteen beyond repair. Nineteen wagons in the leading train were extensively damaged, eleven were eventually written off. The Class 47 sustained major collision and fire damage, the crew escaped serious injury, but tragically the guard on the Carlisle goods train was killed when the brake van was demolished.
The permanent way and related structures were damaged for about half a mile, the line not being reopened until October 11th.
Condition September: green livery with full yellow cab fronts, frame level stripe, gangway doors fitted, valencing removed, shortened fuel tank, full size water tank, ridge sided sandboxes, blanking plates fitted, hand/footholds plated over, three-rung bogie mounted footsteps, engine exhaust in original location.
24100 was noted at Glasgow Works during October, possibly it was renumbered into TOPS during this visit.
1975 - 1976
24100 was placed to store on August 8th 1975 and withdrawn on February 2nd 1976.
Condition final: blue/yellow livery, gangway doors sheeted over, headcode discs centered on cab front, full size water tank, shortened fuel tank, blanking plates fitted, hand/footholds plated over, ridge sided sandboxes, two-rung bogie mounted footsteps.
Page added September 15th 2016.