D5004 5004 24004
D5004, 5004, 24004|
Photographer not known at this time.
D5004 stands in the dirt, grime & smoke of a scene all too familiar to the operation of the early diesels. No doubt the manufacturers would have preferred maintenance facilities more in keeping with the complexities of this different form of traction. One wonders what effect the many hours spent in company with blowing ash & cinders and smoke containing particulates of all kinds did to the internal components of the diesels. Here D5004 appears in pretty much 'as delivered' state, though with very grimy paintwork.
This machine features the split radiator frost screen found on the first handful of Type 2s delivered from Derby. The cab front also carries the headboard/disc brackets fitted to those allocated to Hither Green. And unique to this batch is the five ventilators on the top row, instead of the more normal four found on the later series. The locomotives also came with a curved roof panel to cover the roof access to the boiler water filler. As seen here on D5004 this has been removed, in later years a number of the Inverness allocated Class 24s would have this sheeted over as they were overhauled at Glasgow Works.
The sixteen year ten month career of D5004/24004 saw allocations to London Midland Region, Southern Region & the Scottish Region.
The frames for D5004 were laid down at Derby Works during the late summer of 1958 and was delivered new to Crewe South (5B) on December 22nd 1958, but then immediately loaned to Derby (17A). Further transfers were:
January 27th 1959 to Hither Green (73C) on loan
January 1960 to Crewe South (5B)
March 1960 to Hither Green (73C) on loan
June 1962 to Willesden (1A)
June 1962 to Hither Green (73C) on loan
September 1962 to Willesden (1A)
January 1965 to Camden (1B)
February 1965 to Willesden (1A)
September 1965 to Rugby (1F)
April 1966 to London Division (D01)
April 1967 to Stoke Division (D05)
March 1971 to Eastfield (65A) on loan, made permanent May 1971
January 1975 to Longsight
February 1975 to Eastfield
July 7th 1975 to serviceable store
October 5th 1975 withdrawn.
Renumbered February 1974.
24004 was stored at Carlisle from July 1975 to March 15th 1976 when it was forwarded to Glasgow Works, being mostly scrapped during May 1977, the cabs lingered until December 1984.
Works visits (records incomplete).
Noted Eastleigh Works June & August 1962.
Noted Derby Works March & April 1965.
Noted Eastleigh Works December 1965.
Noted Derby Works June & November 1969 (fire damage & continuous?).
Noted Derby Works September 1971.
Noted Glasgow Works February 1973.
The condition reports assume that throughout the life of D5004/24004 the bodysides had four upper/four lower ventilators on BIS side, five upper/four lower ventilators on non-BIS side, split radiator screens on both sides and SR headboard/disc brackets on both cabs until an undetermined point when those on the No.2 cab were removed.
It was during the latter half of 1958 that the frames were laid for D5004, part of a batch of twenty machines (D5000 - D5019), which were part of the original order of locomotives for the Modernisation Plan. D5004 was delivered during December 1958, on paper to Crewe South (5B), then immediately transferred to Derby (17A). A month later the Southern Region borrowed a number of these new arrivals including D5004, the move being made in January 1959 to Hither Green. The loan was made pending the arrival of the BRCW Type 3s and the delayed start-up of parts of the Kent electrification scheme.
The use of D5000 - D5014/17 on the Southern Region was not without problems. Like a number of the early classes the Derby built Type 2s were found to be overweight, in this case almost five tons overweight. This heavier than expected axle loading was a major concern for the SR Civil Engineer, leading to D5004 & D5005 visiting Eastleigh Works in February to see what could be done to reduce the axle loadings. The easiest solution was to remove the train heating boiler and boiler water tanks, this being done on locomotives D5002 - D5006, which made them a little more versatile in regard to their route availability, though the boilers were sorely missed during the winter.
The summer dated Margate - Birkenhead had been in the hands of the Type 2s from June 15th, working as far as Redhill, noted on the first four days were D5001/02/05/04. On the heavier Saturday working double heading was frequent.
Photographer unknown: from the Rex Conway archive.
Somewhere on the Southern Region (possibly Hither Green) D5004 & D5001 (?) await their next turn of duty. The locomotive has not yet been fitted with headboard brackets, but has had the boiler water tank (and boiler) removed as a weight saving measure to placate the SR Civil engineer. The still shiny paintwork suggests D5004 is not long out of the Works.
The SR Civil Engineer eased the restrictions affecting the overweight Type 2s, most returned to the LMR to have the boilers and water tanks refitted. D5004 was briefly re-allocated to Crewe South (5B) between January & February for this purpose.
Repairs during 1962 included D5004 at Eastleigh in during June & August.
With the arrival of the BRCW Type 3s and the successful start up of the Kent electrification plan the Type 2s were slowly returned to the LMR, D5004 transferred to Willesden (1A) in September. At Willesden D5004 was a frequent runner on the local commuter services, occasionally to be found on the Birmingham - Coventry - Rugby locals as well.
||Date & location unknown, but perhaps on the Southern Region, D5004 in the early days.
Photograph courtesy Malcolm Braim.
D5004's stay at Willesden was interrupted during January when a brief spell was spent at Camden (1B), by February it was back at Willesden. During March & April a visit was made to Derby Works for repair. As the LMR electrification advanced the passenger workings out of Euston diminished for the Type 2s although they remained in great demand to handle the extra engineering trains required to complete the electrification works.
In October D5004 was were transferred to Rugby (1F).
During December D5004 was noted under repair at Eastleigh Works, one of several sent to Eastleigh to ease the workload on the LMR workshops. The locomotive received a repaint, green livery with small yellow warning panels, with curved upper corners, with the warning panel covering the frame level stripe. The frame level stripe is of interest as it was much narrower than those applied at other Workshops.
Condition December: green livery with small yellow warning panels, curved upper corners, warning panels cover frame level stripe, frame level stripe is narrower than normal, full size fuel tank, shortened water tank, no blanking plates, hand/footholds present, ridge sided sandboxes, two-rung bogie mounted footsteps, all valencing in place.
After five years generally spent at the southern end of the WCML D5004 was transferred to the Stoke Division (D05) in April, calling Crewe its new home. Between April & August the entire batch of D5000 - D5049 were transferred to the Stoke Division, more would follow in 1968.
Condition date uncertain: green livery with small yellow warning panels, curved upper corners, warning panels cover frame level stripe, frame level stripe appears narrower than normal, full size fuel tank, shortened water tank, no blanking plates, hand/footholds present, ridge sided sandboxes, two-rung bogie mounted footsteps, all valencing in place.
By 1969 many members of the less successful diesel types (from NBL, Metropolitan Vickers, Claytons) had already gone to the scrapman, but there still existed within the diesel fleet a surplus in the Type 1 & 2 categories. Because the original batch of Type 2s from Derby Works lacked certain refinements carried by the later machines, they were selected for withdrawal during 1969. Ten were stored or withdrawn, being held at Shrewsbury, Chester, Crewe & Derby.
5004 remained in service until suffering fire damage in the Stoke area, being noted with an uncertain future at Derby Works in November. However a shortage of power on the Eastern Region and the loss of four Class 24s in a runaway accident at Chester, saw all but 5005 returned to service.
After a stay of almost four years at the Stoke Division another northward move was made to the Scottish Region to assist in the removal of the final members of the Claytons & North British Locomotive products. 5004 moved to Eastfield (65A) during March.
5004 was noted at Derby Works during September.
Condition June: green livery with full yellow ends, no SR headboard brackets on No.2 cab, gangway doors still in place.
24004 visited Glasgow Works for repairs during in February.
On July 19th 24004 worked the six coach 13.00 additional Aberdeen - Glasgow service.
1975 - 1977
24004's spell at Eastfield was broken briefly when it moved to Longsight during January (with 24001/005) and then headed back north in February (with 24001). This was its last official move, for like a great many others it was stored in July, never to turn a revenue earning wheel again. Stored with many others at Carlisle, withdrawal came officially in October. On March 15th 1976 a convoy of 24002/04/10/11 travelled from Carlisle to Glasgow Works for component removal. The end finally came in May 1977 when the remains of 24004 were broken up at Glasgow, athough parts of the cabs lingered until December 1984.
||24004 forms part of a long line of Class 24s stored at Carlisle Kingmoor, seen here on October 28th 1975. The locomotive has acquired the shortened water tank.
Photograph courtesy Tony Sayer.
||The end of the road for 24004 at Glasgow Works, seen here on Halloween 1976. The boiler exhaust vent has received a temporary cover, presumably for its earlier storage whilst at Carlisle Kingmoor. By May 1977 24004 will have been broken up at Glasgow Works.
Photograph courtesy Brian Daniels.
Condition final: blue/yellow livery, gangway doors sheeted over, headcode discs centered on cab front, no SR headcode brackets on No.2 cab, full size fuel tank, shortened water tank, blanking plates fitted, hand/footholds plated over, ridge sided sandboxes, three-rung bogie mounted footsteps.
Page added February 20th 2004
Page updated September 7th 2016.
Return to Picture menu
Return to Home page