24030, 5030, D5030, first diesel built at Crewe
D5030, 5030, 24030
the first mainline diesel electric
locomotive built at Crewe Works|
Two factory portraits of Crewe's first Class 24, D5030. At the same time as Crewe Works were releasing D5030 to traffic, Derby Works were releasing D5017.
The seventeen year one month career of D5030/24030 saw allocations to only London Midland Region depots.
Built Crewe Locomotive Works.
Full size fuel & water tanks (shortened water tank added later).
Four upper and four lower air filters on non-BIS side, three upper and four lower on BIS side.
Time between last Classified repair and withdrawal: 25 months.
Time between withdrawal & scrapping: 10 months.
The frames for D5030 were laid down during the last quarter of 1958 at Crewe Works. D5030 was new to March (31B) on June 6th 1959. Further transfers were:
January 1960 to Stratford (30A).
January 1961 to Willesden (1A).
January 1966 to Bletchley (1E).
April 1966 to London Division (D01).
July 1966 to Birmingham Division (D02).
August 1967 to Stoke Division (D05).
May 1973 to Crewe.
February 1976 stored serviceable.
July 7th 1976 - withdrawn.
Renumbered March 30th 1974.
24030 was stored at Crewe from February 1976 to March 21st 1977, when it was forwarded to Swindon Works and scrapped there by the first week of May 1977.
Works visits (records incomplete).
Noted Derby Works April, June, October & November 1962.
Noted Derby Works December 1963.
Noted Derby Works September 1964 - January 1965.
Noted Derby Works May & June 1966.
Noted Derby Works November 1968.
Noted Derby Works June 1969 (intermediate).
Noted Derby Works May, June (ex works) & October 1974.
For the diesel enthusiast Crewe Works is probably prominently known for its large construction runs of the Class 47 and the HST power cars. However the first of the Modernisation Plan diesel locomotives to be built at Crewe were a batch of the BR/Sulzer Type 2s, commencing with D5030. It was during the last quarter of 1958 that the frames were laid for D5030, the first of a batch of thirty six, all destined for the Eastern Region. No exact construction price is known but it is believed this batch cost about GBP80,000 each.
Its November 1958 and Crewe is well into the construction of D5030. Freshly completed parts lay alongside the walkway awaiting fitting into the locomotive. The steam locomotive in the background is believed to be the last 9F, 92250 under construction.
D5030 was delivered during the first week of June. The summer timetable found the Type 2s on a new working between Crewe and Birmingham. They took over the 7.35pm Holyhead - Birmingham at Crewe, returning with the following morning's 6.30am all stations Birmingham - Crewe. So noted were D5015/16 and D5015/30. The mention of D5030 suggests it was probably on a testing run, the first of Crewe's Type 2s to be outshopped, awaiting official movement to its first shed, March (31B).
In January D5030 was transferred to Stratford (30A).
After a year at Stratford D5030 moved to Willesden (1A) during January.
May 1961: D5030 noted at Stratford depot with major collision damage to the No.2 cab on the secondman's side, Works attention would definately be required.
D5030 was at Derby Works during April, June, October & November.
As the year closed D5030 was at Derby Works.
On June 14th an excursion from the Derby area to a North Wales resort featured D5030 & D5002.
On August 12th D5030 was noted arriving at Euston shortly after midday with a service from Stockport.
Condition September (prior to entering Derby Works): green livery with small yellow warning panels, curved upper corners, warning panel partially covers frame level stripe, gangway doors present, full size fuel and water tanks, no blanking plates, hand/footholds present, ridge sided sandboxes, two-rung bogie mounted footsteps, all valencing in place, engine exhaust located above engine room.
By September D5030 was at Derby Works and would not be released until January 1965. Whilst at Derby external changes to the locomotive include the fullsize water tank being replaced with a shortened one and the small yellow warning panel received square upper corners and covered the frame level stripe.
After five years allocated to Willesden (1A) D5030 moved to Bletchley (1E) during January. D5030 was noted at Derby Works during May & June. After three months at Bletchley D5030 was transferred to the Birmingham Division (D02) during July.
Condition March: green livery with small yellow warning panels, squared upper corners, warning panel covers frame level stripe, gangway doors present, full size fuel tank, shortened water tank, no blanking plates, hand/footholds present, ridge sided sandboxes, two-rung bogie mounted footsteps, all valencing in place.
With the southern end of the WCML electrification now complete D5030 became part of the large migration northwards, being transferred to the Stoke Division (D05) in August.
5030 was noted at Derby Works during November.
5030 received an Intermediate repair at Derby during June.
Condition March: green/yellow livery, full size fuel tank, shortened water tank, no blanking plates, hand/footholds plated over, at least one plate is missing though.
TOPS Renumbering took place for 5030 whilst it was at Derby Works for repair between May and June, and returning during October for attention.
Photograph courtesy Ian Walmsley
24030 sparkles in the hazy summer sun of July 8th 1974 at Northwich, about a month after outshopping from Derby Works. Changes made to the locomotive since it rolled out of Crewe Works include the sheeting over of the gangway doors, the loss of the frame level valencing along the bodysides, the shortened boiler water tank, the three rung bogie mounted footsteps, the hand/footholds to the roof mounted boiler water filler are plated over, the steam hose connections on the buffer beam are removed and the builders plate has been fitted on the cab door. Behind 24030 is blue liveried 24021 which still carries the 'Lion & Wheel' emblem!
From the repair book for 24030 whilst at Tinsley dated April 8th: 'Window drivers side No.2 end springing up when in open position, door at drivers side No.1 end won't stay closed when loco moving'.
A chilly Sunday morning at Crewe finds 24030 on engineering work, January 18th 1976. 24030's working days are almost over, 24030 will placed to store during February and will be withdrawn in early July.
Attrition slowly claimed the surviving Class 24s, 24030 went to store in February and was withdrawn in July.
Page updated September 13th 2016.
Last updated April 27th 2018.
Return to Picture menu
Return to Home page