The arid conditions found on the steppes of south & south-east Russia provided one of the incentives for the development of diesel powered locomotives in Russia. In 1915 proposals were developed between Oerlikon, Sulzer and the Russian authorities for a 2,000hp diesel-electric locomotive with a most interesting double generator arrangement. Unfortunately the First World War intervened and the plans came to nothing.
During the early 1930's Sulzer returned to the Russian theatre with a 1-Eo-1 diesel-electric locomotive numbered E-EL-8, built by Krupp works #1200 of 1933. The two 8cyl 750hp power units were constructed by Sulzer Brothers with the electrical equipment supplied by Secheron, Geneva.
Tractive effort at the driving wheels was 12,000kg from 0 to 13.5km/h, output per hour at the driving wheel was 1,200hp, utilisation of full power was available to 45km/h, whilst the maximum speed was 60km/h. Gross weight was 135tons, adhesion weight on the powered axles was 105tons. The two diesel engines each had a continuous rating of 750hp and an hourly rating of 825hp, the normal engine speed was 650rpm. An exciter was directly coupled to each generator. To start the engines the generators were motored from a set of batteries, the generators being provided with a special series winding. Should either diesel generator set fail or need to be taken off line it was possible to either maintain full tractive effort at half speed or maintain full speed with 50% tractive effort depending on the condition required.
(Translated from a German text presumably published in the 1930/40's).
Page updated June 26th 2004.
Return to Sulzer page
Return to Picture menu
Return to Home Page