The Chojo Maru saw service between the ports of Kobe, Moji & Tientsin along with Choan Maru and Choko Maru.
During 1938 the ship was renamed the Tyozyo Maru and in 1939 was sold to Toa Kaiun K.K., Osaka.
On February 16th 1944 the submarine USS Tinosa (SS-283) under the command of Lt.Cdr. D.F. Weiss torpedoed and sunk the Japanese army cargo ship Chojo Maru about 65 nautical miles south-east Siargao Island, Philippines in position 09º15'N, 127º05'E.
Sister ships: Choan Maru & Choko Maru. These ships were also completed in 1927 but by different builders to the Chojo Maru, they were of similar dimensions and were powered by the same type of Sulzer engine.
Built: Mitsubishi Dockyards, Nagasaki
Article in 'The Motor Ship' of February 1928.
Page added December 23rd 2011.